Law firm directories come and go, but as of 2020 (March 18th, to be exact), there are over 130 that your firm can be featured on. Roughly half have a nominal fee and the other half should be free, and they are all great opportunities for additional online exposure.
Why Is It Important to Be Listed on the Best Legal Directory Sites for Attorneys & Law Firms?
Among other reasons consistently updating your law firm on directories are the following:
- Backlinks, of course, are very helpful in increasing site authority, and in turn, increasing the likelihood of ranking for the keywords your website is optimized for. Backlinks from legal resources is even more helpful because the LSI (Latent Semantic Indexing) should be very similar.
- People use all sorts of random directories for finding services (like Yelp for lawyers, right?). The more legal directories you’re on, the random but pleasantly surprising chances you will be found maybe here and there. Also keep in mind that there are directories going up all the time that are trying to compete with Avvo, FindLaw, Nolo etc.. All it takes is one with the right backing and team to become prominent and if you’re already there, you could be trendsetting in the right direction.
- Legal directories also confirm your NAP (Name, Address, Phone) in a way that a general citation would, so more cohesive NAP, the more you’re benefited from a local standpoint.
- Some of these directories will offer accolades and badges for signing up with them – who doesn’t like adding those to their website?
Top 125 Law Firm Directories and Citations in 2020
As mentioned before, these lists can change and adjust over time with one going down and another starting up. Being on as many legal directories as possible won’t always be a gamechanger for a law firm, but it can certainly give you the edge over competition. Need help getting your law firm on this entire list? Our agency has a team in place just for that.
How Can Legal Directories Boost Your Marketing?
Whether you’re a solo practitioner, small law firm, or a much larger one, it’s important to employ the most competitive legal marketing trends today, and that includes being part of a key source for information that people are using. Research that Google compiled through FindLaw offers us some guidance here. Their research found that:
- 96% of people use a search engine to get legal advice or find an attorney
- 87% of people who contact an attorney decide to hire one
That’s why you want your law firm’s name and contact information readily available where you know people are searching; the exposure you get from being listed on an online legal directory is crucial.
And today, law firm directories are eager to have you on board and they’re constantly looking for new ways to meet your needs. So, rather than simply being an online version of the Yellow Pages, they’re a source for law firm advertising, a place to post content that your firm created, a site providing links to your website, and a place that hosts forums where you can answer questions on legal topics and demonstrate expertise.
How Do Law Firm Directories Enhance Search Engine Results?
Equally important is that law firm directories can give your law firm the ability to appear in search results pages more often. In 2014, Google significantly improved the ranking of legal directories through a search algorithm update that became known as the Pigeon Update, intended to give users more relevant and accurate local search results. This update improved the rankings and visibility of online directories, including legal directories. With those high rankings in search results, it’s become clear that direct referrals from these directories can definitely help you generate leads and take on new clients. Online legal directories are useful for that kind of local search visibility.
Let’s say someone does a search query for “personal injury lawyer in Orlando, Florida.” Google then provides that viewer with a local “3-Pack” displaying the top three results for that local SERP result. Google checks the user’s location to ensure the results are relevant to the location where the query was submitted; in this case, Google would display Orlando area law offices that practice personal injury law. And legal directories allow your firm to include your firm’s name, address, and telephone number, increasing your chances of appearing in the local 3-pack.
As a resource, legal directory listings collect information about your firm, including your practice areas to be certain a potential client can find what they need. Since these sites can help lead prospective clients directly to your website once they’ve discovered you in a lawyer directory, it’s important to do some research and find the directories that have demonstrated authority with users and can do the same for you. Being listed on the most trusted sites is also a way to build your own credibility. Some online directories will also allow for reviews by satisfied customers, which also helps to demonstrate how your firm has a reputable standing.
Get Started With Being Featured on the Best Law Firm Directories for Your Specific Practice
The bottom line is if you know prospective clients are using these law firm directories and may be more likely to start their search there — and ultimately find you there — why not go directly where the searches begin?
Top Law Firm Directories Get Massive Traffic, Most of Which is From Qualified Google Searches
Law Firm Directories almost get all of their traffic from people specifically looking for legal services, instead of getting information or educating themselves about a topic. This is especially important for lawyers with practice areas where the legal issue may be more pressing, such as criminal defense or personal injury. At the end of the day, a law firm that pursues different marketing channels and gets the value of different approaches to visibility will benefit from a number of available law firm directories that are out there.